Meetup Re-Cap: Uncovering the Hero Within
Why are we here?
- Shifting where we apply our TEE (Time, Effort & Energy)- from cyclic, toxic habits, to Heroik endeavors.
- Take some time this week to Uncover who you are, where you came from, (your origin story) Where we desire to go and the challenges and limiting thoughts that keep us from becoming the heroes we desire to be.
What makes a hero?
- Contrarians, people who don’t accept the limitations placed upon them by others and choose to do things differently, or their own way.
- The brave, those who do things in the face of fear.
- Those who have principles, identities, and stand up for them.
- The selfless – those who take action for the greatest good despite their own personal needs
What stops us from being Heroik?
- A lack of time-Where are you pouring your TEE (Time, Effort and Energy)?
- Lack of Money –We could always use more right?
- Fear (of failure, success, losing ourselves, etc.)
- A disconnect within ourselves and true identities and aspirations. How many people found it challenging to answer the question “Who are you?” and “What do you do?”
- Who ought you be? What ought you be doing?
- Societal expectation
- Family obligations & Expectations
The Importance of Uncovering Your Origin Story
- We all have a lot of baggage, if we’re going to climb mountains, we need to cut the dead weight and leave things that won’t serve us behind.
- That means exploring our origin story, identifying how we came to be for better or worse, dealing with the baggage involved, healing and letting go of it.
- On the positive side of things this means uncovering your strengths and putting the resilience to work for you.
Identity- Authenticity- Know Yourself.
- Are you being real? Are you being the you, that you want? Are you pursuing your dreams and ideal self at all?
- Is what you’re doing, consuming, giving you energy? Does it excite you? Are you engaged by it? Would you do it for free?
How to discover the Hero within
1. Pursue authenticity.
- Assess your authenticity, in each moment, with every item, and relationship,
- Ask yourself, Does this serve you? If it does, do more of it. If it does not serve you, or doesn’t align with who you are or truly want to be, hit the eject button.
2. BYOB-Bring Your Own Bravery.
- Now is the time to be brave and take a step forward. Aspire to be your own hero .
- Courage is the first step towards cultivating the other virtues. Courage is a choice.
3. Tackle time and money issues by using the 6 Heroik Principles.
- Speed –Pursue that which helps you move and do things faster
- Simplicity –The heart of efficiency is in simplicity. Avoid complexity and look for simple solutions.
- Independence – Independence enables freedom. If you can do it on your own, it makes it that much easier to change your mind and define a new reality for yourself.
- Mobility – The ability to move freely,
- Control – Who is steering the boat in your life? Are you in control or are you playing victim?
- Tactility (The ability to touch) – In any challenge you face, define which parts you can touch and affect. What people can you reach out to for help? How can you get your hands dirty to affect change now?
Productivity Tools to help you get started.
Dropbox – Cloud storage. Store and share files and folders across all of your computers and even your smartphone. Dropbox is free and platform independent.
Do.com - Social productivity, collaboration and project management. Read this article about Do.
Boomerang - an addin for Firefox and Gmail that allows you to schedule emails to be sent later, and if you don’t receive a response, you’ll get a reminder by having the email message ‘boomeranged’ back to you.
If you have any questions, or would like to join the Roseville, CA meetup group, contact Nicholas at firstname.lastname@example.org